Pergola in landscape design: 60 beautiful ideas
Pergola is an elegant find that came to us from the Mediterranean. Even in ancient Rome, elegant and practical awnings were used to support the vine. And at the same time to darken the terraces, as well as individual sections from the scorching sun. Now pergolas are an indispensable attribute of landscape design. They differ in form and execution, but invariably give lightness, freshness and coolness on hot summer days.
What is a pergola?
A classic pergola is a canopy. Climbing plants entwine around the frame support of arches and transverse bars. It can be a separate structure, an extension to the building or even a canopy above the window.
From pergolas make separate terraces, corridors, fencing pools. Their architecture is becoming more diverse. And designers create real artwork and shadow drawings.
Pergolas and Berse
Pergola is easily confused with berso. Berso are covered galleries that stretch along paths and alleys. From two sides curly bushes are planted. They grow, stretch upwards and create a continuous tunnel.
In the late Middle Ages, bersos were created from willow twigs. Young shoots were intertwined at the tops and connected with thin strips. So the living corridor was formed.
Pergola differs from berso in that it is a more permanent frame structure. And its landscaping is created by climbing plants, and not shrubs and trees planted in a special way. Although now these faces are increasingly blurring.
If ancient pergolas were rather monotonous, now you can arrange it in any style. Here are some inspirational options:
- Classic. This is a strict and restrained frame of bars with trellised overlapping. Minimalistic and elegant at the same time. And if you want to add modernity, take metal instead of wood.
- Country style. Simplicity, naturalness and deliberate rudeness are in fashion. Aged wooden beams on massive pillars-pillars as if descended from the pages of fairy tales and legends. And the more greens grow, the stronger this effect.
- Palace style. It is power and luxury. Massive columns with forged inserts, stone elements and arches, monumental supports, powerful vines and weaving rose bushes will set the right mood.
- East style. Elegant, lightweight, openwork designs are especially good made of valuable wood or bamboo. But keep in mind that this is more a decorative than a functional solution.
Types of structures
By execution, several types of pergolas can be noted:
- Awnings. The simplest and most common. The canopy is adjacent to the house. Install this over the veranda, playground, as a light summer shelter for cars and equipment. But keep in mind that the pergola does not protect from rain.
- Visor. Small and elegant, it neatly obscures the southern windows without heavy and bulky curtains. This is also a good option for energy-efficient homes. It reduces the heat load, and you can save on the air conditioner.
- Screen. This is a design for zoning the territory. Make a secluded corner in the garden, closed from prying eyes. This pergola is well suited for vineyards and other weaving plants.
- Arch or tunnel. The green arch is the most complex in execution, but it is also the most luxurious and elegant. You can arrange passages and paths in this way, creating an atmosphere of mystery and romance. A tunnel is a series of arches connected together.
Materials for the manufacture
When choosing a material, consider the location of the structure and the load to which it is exposed. The thicker the landscaping, the stronger the frame should be.
Wood is the most affordable and popular material for creating pergolas. It harmoniously fits into any exterior or style, combined with other elements of landscape design.
Wooden pergolas are beautiful and practical. A variety of rocks allows you to experiment with texture. In addition, you can definitely find an option for your budget.
But remember that the tree is sensitive to weather: humidity, sun, cold and temperature extremes. In the southern regions, it will last longer. But we must not forget about protection.
Art forging opens up unlimited space for imagination. This is a rather expensive pleasure, but such products have been pleasing with their beauty for decades, and even centuries.
Metal pergolas are stronger and more reliable. They do not require special maintenance, regardless of the time of year. And finely crafted grilles can be much more elegant even bamboo.
A modern and functional option is complex aluminum structures. Bioclimatic canopies are made of light rotary lamellas, so you can adjust the amount of sun that enters through the canopy. But such pergolas are almost impossible to fully plant with plants.
For the manufacture of pergolas are also used plastic, metal, bamboo and even glass elements. Combinations of different materials also look advantageous. For example, wood with forged elements, stone foundations with metal structures, lightweight plastic and aluminum.
Where to install the pergola?
The choice of location depends on the form and purpose of the structure. We offer you some ideas!
Separate screens for zoning are suitable in order to separate the dining area in the fresh air. You can gather in the yard with friends or relatives, but hide from the sun and wind.
By the pool or pond you can not do without shading. Even a small screen or canopy will be enough to hide chairs or sunbeds from the sun. And now you can safely enjoy your vacation without risking a sunstroke.
Pergola adjacent to the house or continuing it is suitable for protecting the veranda or summer kitchen. This is a simple, elegant and convenient option for small areas or backyard.
Pergolas of complex configuration are suitable for creating individual sections. Make a gazebo with benches, a barbecue area, fence a playground. After all, a pergola is more elegant than any fence, and fits better into the landscape.
Small compact pergolas can also be used to separate the working area. Protect the flowerbed or your favorite seedlings so that they do not suffer on a hot summer day. Moreover, unlike fences and fabric awnings, the "green" curtain is perfectly blown.
DIY pergola making
Even before the design stage and material selection, you need to decide what tasks the pergola will perform:
- Correction of plant growth;
- Disguise of technical and farm buildings;
- Zoning of space;
- Decoration of the site;
- Temporary seasonal decoration;
- A full "green" corridor or gazebo;
- Connection of several buildings or plots;
- Create a shadow.
For example, a decorative pergola can be more complex and fragile. But the design for plant growth should be stronger and withstand loads of up to several kilograms.
Bear in mind that a too large and massive pergola in a small summer cottage looks bulky and ridiculous. Too small risks not sustaining the weight of plants. It is best to calculate the dimensions in combination with the rest of the structures and facilities on the site.
Remember that plants grow with each passing year - both in size and weight.
The recommended height of the frame support is up to 2.5 m, within which it remains stable. For the same reasons, the design of metal pipes should not be too narrow and high.
And for the pergola to look elegant, its width should be greater than the height. Violation of proportions gives the opposite effect, and also badly affects reliability.
Pergola is not necessarily a direct canvas or arch. They can be oblique and rounded, square and polygonal. The more complex the configuration, the more difficult it is to build it, but it fully pays off with the beauty of the finished structure.
Most relevant in landscape design look the same natural shades. First, decide whether the pergola should merge with the adjacent territory or vice versa - become a bright accent.
When working with wood, you can safely use its main advantage - a natural pattern. He always remains in trend. To protect the frame there are special antiseptics and impregnations.
Another classic is snow-white performance. The light design looks lighter, but it stands out against the background of dense greenery. Such a pergola looks solemn and elegant.
The use of several materials is an excellent occasion to play with their textures. For example, black forging with bright, valuable tree species. Or a white stone with a light or contrasting dark wood.
Feel free to combine a contrasting pergola with other landscape elements: fences and railings, borders, garden furniture.
The specifics of creating a pergola depends on what shape and configuration you choose. We will consider the classic version:
- Make a drawing and write on it all the sizes;
- Calculate the number of bars that will be needed for the design;
- Dig out the recesses under the supports 80-90 cm;
- Lay gravel at the bottom of the pits;
- When installing the supports, be sure to monitor their level;
- Pour the pillars with concrete and leave for a couple of days until it hardens;
- Insert the frame bars into the supports;
- Use mechanical fasteners for fastening - bolts, corners, trims;
- We drilled docking grooves on the roof beams;
- Lay them across on supports;
- Keep a distance of 30 cm.
Ruggedness and reliability
To make the pergola stronger, use perpendicular rungs in increments of 50-60 cm. Do not forget to fasten everything with bolts. Glue is not the best option for garden decor.
For massive and complex structures, the foundation is laid. Columnar or, less commonly, tape. For medium enough, metal crutches in increments of 40-60 cm.
To make the large arched pergola stronger, establish slopes between the support and supporting beams. Diagonal parts are mounted at an angle of 45 degrees.
But do not overload the pergola with unnecessary massive details. Lightness and elegance - the main "chips" of garden decor.
It is not necessary to plant a pergola with just one plant. But choose varieties with approximately the same periods of development and growth. So the hedgerow looks neater, and different species do not interfere with each other.
Experienced gardeners do not recommend combining more than 3 species, otherwise they are too difficult to care for. And the pergola itself risks eventually becoming overly motley and messy.
Interestingly, hedges from varieties with pronounced seasonal changes look. They are completely changing, depending on the time of year.
Be sure to choose species that are adapted to the climate of your region. If it turns out that an unusual variety of vines requires shelter from frost, you will have to urgently decide how to painlessly remove it from the crate.
The simplest and most common options are different grapes, including wild, climbing roses, honeysuckle honeysuckle. All of them are unpretentious, do not require frequent watering, tolerate heat well and delight with a delicate aroma.
Maiden grapes, for example, are growing rapidly, they entwine around the most complex and bizarre supports and feel great in any conditions. And in the fall, it also changes the color of the foliage to a rich crimson.
But clematis are much more sensitive to the weather and the neighborhood. And also to cold, humidity and drafts.
Pergola - photo
So that your favorite green corner will please you with elegance and elegance, we have prepared this selection of photos with beautiful examples of pergolas in landscape design. Watch and get inspired!